Places I love

Monday, January 13, 2014

My 500 Words A Day Challenge: Day 13

My 500 Words A Day Challenge, Day 13 Prompt:
TELL US ABOUT YOUR DAY
Prompt given by writer, Jeff Goins. 
(Save this assignment for the evening — or write about yesterday.
This is, basically, a journal entry but with a twist: make your day sound interesting.)

I turned to look at my husband and my lips pouted and my eyes drooped. It was coming to the end of another day in which I had not written anything and I was feeling like a failure.
“What’s the matter my love?” We stood around the island in my parent’s kitchen and his sweet smile stopped me.
“I’m supposed to be doing a 500 words a day challenge to build a good writing habit and I’m not doing so well. I need to do this tonight!  I have to!  What am I going to write about?”
“Costco?” My husband grinned. I didn’t.

“Costco? I don’t know. That doesn’t sound so fun at the moment.”

He walked out of the kitchen and began hooking the dog to her leash. I followed him looking for inspiration and then it came to me.

“I know! You take the dog out and you think of a word! When you come back in, you tell me that one word without saying anything else. And I will take it from there! This will be fun.”

“Ok, my dear.” The love of my life put his fleece hat on, shrugged into his burly tan coat and out the door he went. I took a deep breath and sat down in a chair by the door, waiting, wondering what he was going to come up with. He’d help me for sure.

So, what was the one word? I know you are as anxious to hear what he came up with as I am. The flashlight he was carrying shone through the window signaling his return and I scooted to the edge of the cozy red chair. Sydney, our golden retriever rushed in with the burst of cold winter air with my husband quick on her heels. I waited. He removed his hat, hung his coat in the closet and walked my way.   

He bent over, placing his hands on my shoulders with a reassuring squeeze.  “Love.”

I leaned back in the chair and looked at him in disbelief. “Are you serious? That is such a broad topic! Awwww man!” He continued to stand there, not saying another word per the rules.

“Ok, I’ll do it.” I shrugged my shoulders and stood up trying to bring courage with me.

“You can do it my love.” Again, he gave me that sweet smile that holds pure confidence in my calling to write. There was no doubt in his gaze to meet the insecurity in my own. With eyes twinkling, he walked away.  

I took a deep breath and returned to the kitchen where I made dinner and thought about my word, love. I stirred the potatoes and sprinkled them with precision with garlic powder and parsley. I stared into the steam that consistently was rising out of the pot of carrots. I even browned the sausages, turning them ever so gently as they sizzled, and through it all, I thought about love.

“Dinner’s ready!” I yelled and seconds later Sydney the dog was snuggling my thigh in case I dropped something. Her brown eyes were expecting that I would surely sneak her something. My Mom came in and filled water glasses. My Dad came in, sat in his chair and thanked me for making dinner. My husband was last to come in, hugging me from behind and kissing my cheek as I plated the food.

As we sat down and I heard my husband begin to pray, I couldn’t help but peek and take a look at him. My heart warmed at his belief in me and his willingness to play along as I figure out ways to reach my writing goals.  I glanced at my parents and felt the warmth of their home. And then, I saw my laptop. It was plugged in and waiting to be used as a tool to tap failure into victory.

My prompt was to write about my day and then my husband further prompted me with love, but not just the word.

I looked at my family, write about love? Yep, I can do that.

And here I am, at the end of today’s challenge, with everyone sleeping soundly in their beds and me about to close the lid on this laptop. 763 words?  So what if it’s midnight? I made it and that’s victory.

Until tomorrow…goodnight.  

No comments:

Post a Comment