Places I love

Tuesday, January 7, 2014

Happy New Year!

As I write this, I am battling a case of bronchitis and because of that, the last few days and nights I have had breathing on my mind. In my inability to sleep or take a deep breath without coughing, I found myself remembering something that I had studied once. I remembered the word pneuma. It is a Greek word that biblically refers to the Holy Spirit or breath or wind.

Some of you can relate to the fact that although wonderful things happened in 2013, there were also moments of sadness and heartbreak as well. Regardless, my prayer is that the areas of our hearts that feel deadened by the pains of life would feel the fresh wind of the Holy Spirit breathe upon us.  We all have areas within us that can rejoice, but we also have areas that mourn and are saddened by the unfairness and uncertainties of life. 

Dear friends and family, we pray hope over you and for you. May you experience the life that He breathes into the darkest of places when you put your faith in His love. 

Jesus knew this world would offer us joy and heartbreak. Before he died and was resurrected he told those who loved him, “the Helper, the Holy Spirit (pneuma), whom the Father will send in my name, he will teach you all things and bring to your remembrance all that I have said to you.  Peace I leave with you; my peace I give to you. Not as the world gives do I give to you. Let not your hearts be troubled, neither let them be afraid.” Luke 14:26-27.

I know I often find myself wondering why God does or allows the things that happen. As we can see in the verse above, Jesus was not unaware of how the world works or what our hearts response would be to what it offers us. He knew we would wonder why, that we would not automatically find ourselves at peace, and that we would have troubled hearts and would be afraid. But He has sent a helper, the Holy Spirit, pneuma…

And that is a reason for hope.

From my home to yours,

Be blessed and breathe deep the love of God in 2014. 

No comments:

Post a Comment